9.05.2013

Entertaining: Afternoon Tea (High Tea)


I can't tell you how much I LOVE Afternoon Tea.

It's hard to know the difference between Afternoon Tea and High Tea, but frankly, I don't care.  I just want to get to the eating.

This is all I know about "Tea":

  • Tea is meant to be an afternoon break between lunch and dinner.  
  • If you choose to have more than one kind of tea, go from light to dark (least caffeine to most caffeine).
  • Sugar is served in cubes
  • It doesn't have to be expensive
  • Food usually progresses from savory to sweet
  • It's the best time to ask your girlfriends to dish on the latest
  • It's fancy
  • It's a culinary spa treatment

"I don't know much, but I know I love you..."

Afternoon Tea Menu
(High Tea Menu)

Teas
Apricot-Peach White
Jasmine Green
Earl Grey Black

Tea Sandwiches
Arugula, Cucumber, and Cream Cheese
Mock Egg Salad on Pumpernickel
Apple and Boursin Cheese 

Breads and Muffins
White Chocolate Cranberry Scones
Pumpkin Gingerbread
Store-bought Lemon Poppy seed Muffins
Store-bought Banana Nut Bread

Butter, Strawberry Jam, and Lemon Curd

Dessert
Danish Wedding Cookies
Store-bought Salted Caramel Mini Cupcakes
Chocolate Covered Banana "Stumps"
Chocolate Covered Strawberries with Pistachio





I went to thrift shops to buy a lot of the serving ware, such as teacups and saucers. They were all different but I thought that added some character.  A good friend loaned me the two silver cake stands and I bought the "Keep Calm" teapot from tjmaxx.

Have fun!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice!! Your high teas are the best:) Thanks for sharing a menu! I may actually try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I loved the hat you made and wore. It looked perfect for the occasion but i didn't have a picture of it.

      Delete
  2. So cute and fun! Great idea and menu! I especially love that your went to the thrift store (love thrift store shopping!! It's an addiction I have, lol) and got all different tea cups and saucers, I think it adds to the charm of the whole thing!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle, for your kind words! I was really pleased that I was able to find them. It took a little more work, but worth it!

      Delete
  3. That first sentence right there? I have never agreed with anything more. It would be quite difficult for me, if not downright impossible to be be to qualify or quantify just how much I love tea-time.
    You provided such a lovely spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmila - thanks for your comment. What is your favorite part? I know it's difficult to say. Actually the tea sandwiches are always my favorite, but that's b/c I don't have a big sweet tooth. I really just love chit chatting with girlfriends. maybe that's the best part. :)

      Delete
  4. For me, I think, it is the idea of nibbling from a lavish spread, with many things to choose from. One can try a number of things in small quantities, washed down with copious amounts or delicate sips of tea. While you are correct about progressing from savoury to sweet, I feel that this is the one meal where you may be forgiven for reaching for the shortbread before the cucumber sandwich. Oh, cucumber sandwiches! Just thin slices of cucumber, butter and salt in soft sliced bread. Just a perfect bite best enjoyed at tea time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully stated. i couldn't have said it better.

      Delete

Thanks for posting a comment! Check back soon for my reply!