Second Course (Entree): Spice Crusted Tofu Fillets over Saffron-Cashew Quinoa
served with Strawberry Chutney
I think the Strawberry Chutney takes the spotlight here, so you need somewhat muted flavors to carry it. However, to my surprise, the Saffron Quinoa was the group favorite!!
The Tofu Fillets are very easy:
1) Cut the tofu slab into three 1/2"-thick slabs. Let them dry out for a couple of hours on paper towels. Cut them into heart shapes with a cookie cutter. Use the scraps for something else, like Rose Elliot's Sesame Crusted Tofu.
2) Once they are pretty dry, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with any pantry spice blend PLUS a little brown sugar. (I used a mix of mostly paprika, some cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper).
3) Cook them on a greased/oiled skillet (medium-high), a few mins each side. Then you're done. Reaheat in a toaster oven!
Indian Saffron-Cashew Quinoa
recipe by rabbit food rocks
This is a spin in Indian Saffron rice, but using Quinoa instead. It's simply delicious and filling!
2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon Saffron threads (don't be stingy!)
8 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/2 of a large onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 large shallot, finely diced
1/4 cup whole or chopped cashews (raw)
1. In medium sized pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons oil and quinoa. Stir quinoa until all grains look shiny and quinoa is mildly fragrant (about 3-5 mins). Then add all of the water and cover.
2. As water comes up to a rolling boil (within 3-4 mins), add saffron, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and salt. Stir well, cover again, and lower heat to medium. Cook until quinoa is tender, about 18-20 mins. Remove from heat and stir well.
3. In a large wok, heat 2 Tablespoons canola oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and shallots and cook for 3 more minutes or until shallots look tender.
4. Add quinoa to wok and toss well. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Empty quinoa into a microwave oven safe dish.
5. Finally, fry cashews in a little oil in a small skillet over medium high heat until they are brown and fragrant. Top quinoa with all cashews and oil.
6. When you are ready to serve, you can microwave the serving dish, covered, for about 4 minutes. Stir well.