7.19.2012

Chex Mix Chevro/Chevra



Yes I will blog about something as rudimentary as a PB and J sandwich, Ants on a Log, or in today's case, Chex Mix. 

If you stopped reading already, I didn't want you here anyway. 

You can judge me.  But I won't let you judge Chex Mix.  Chex Mix has done nothing but been nice to you since 1983.

This isn't the Chex Mix you might know.  This is Chex Mix with a makeover: Chevro (pronounced CHEV-row).

Chevro is seasoned to be sweet, salty, and spicy, but there's one ingredient that you won't find in any ordinary Chex Mix: Crisp, fried, curry leaves.  The magic of curry leaves permeate the mixture with an incognito flavor.  Even if "curry" is not your thing, you won't be able to resist its spell once it's paired with the sweetness of Chevro. It is absolutely addictive, don't even question me...I see your Cocaine and I raise you a Chevro.

Chevro deserves a salute to all immigrant Indian moms.  Our moms came to this country with nothing, but if there was a moment or a dollar to spare, it was shared with good friends over some Chevro.  Chevro helped our families survive on a dime and it was the answer to everything a child would/could ask. 

  • No we we are not going to McDonald's.  Here is some Chevro.
  • I'm so sorry you got a booboo. Here is some Chevro.
  • You were so brave taking those vaccination shots. Do you want some Chevro?
  • No, we are not buying your teacher a present. Give her some Chevro.
  • We are late for your Girl Scouts meeting. Don't worry, just take some Chevro.
  • No we aren't there yet.  Here is some Chevro.
  • No we are not buying $8 popcorn.  Here is some Chevro.
  • No you cannot buy Nike Air Pumps.  But you can have some Chevro.  For FREE!


While the photo here looks very presentable, Chevro is most commonly recognized in the uniform of a Ziploc bag.  No matter how old you are, there are many loving homes for a serving of Chevro.  After all, we originated from one nation, under chevro...
  • Purse
  • Locker
  • Glovebox
  • Briefcase
  • Laptop Messenger
  • Breakroom
  • Cubicle
  • Yoga Bag
  • Trenchcoat
  • Diaper bag
  • Backpack
  • Fedora
 Indian Express.  Don't leave home without it.

Cereal Chevro
Recipe written by the very loving Mother-in-Law of rabbitfoodrocks
(Serves 6-8 people...or me...and only me)

This versatile snack mix is made from an American signature food, cereal, to emulate a favorite snack from India, our mother country. My mother in law makes the most incredible, PERFECT chevro and we just can't seem to get enough. She makes it in these GIANT steel mixing bowls, that only Indian moms have...stored in the garage because even the largest kitchen cabinet can't house them. We are soooo lucky that she makes it on demand.

Ingredients:

1-1/4 cup corn oil
2 cups peanuts
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup curry leaves
1/2 tsp iodized salt
cayenne to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons black salt (available at Indian Grocery store - it looks pink)
1 pound Multigrain Cheerios cereal (lightly sweetened)
6 cups Rice Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Corn Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Wheat Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Special K Corn Flakes cereal

Directions:

1.  In the most giant-est pot you have, heat corn oil over medium-high heat.  Fry peanuts for 5-7 minutes, or until the peanuts turn into a slightly darker brown color.  With a slotted spoon, remove peanuts into a large mixing bowl and immediately toss with black salt, iodized salt, and cayenne.
2.  Fry cashews in the hot corn oil.  Remove cashews with a slotted spoon and empty into the mixing bowl.  Fry curry leaves (carefully - the oil will want to splatter) for about 2 minutes and remove after leaves turn dark and start to release an aroma.  Add to the bowl of peanuts and mix well.
3.  Transfer the remaining frying oil into a small bowl, but reserve 2 Tablespoons and heat it again in the large pot over low heat. 
4.  Fry Cheerios on low heat (in 2 to 3 large batches, so that you can stir comfortable and continuously) for about 3-5 minutes.
5.  Fry the other cereals in batches, adding some of the reserved oil if needed before each batch.
6.  Make sure you taste the mixture often (a fun job!) to adjust salt and spice to your liking.  The sweetness is already in the Cheerios!

19 comments:

  1. No WAY! I had curry leaves on hand the other week (after a trip to Little India) and I wasn't quite sure what was the best thing to do with them. I put them in my basmati rice while it was steaming (which was good) but this seems like it would have been a much better use for them. I will have to remember this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! I like your idea of curry leaves in rice. We don't usually do that. I tried that last night and it was yummy!

      Delete
  2. A salute to your awareness! Yes it does take a lot of awareness to recognize the good stuff from within sooo much,thats right under your nose all the time!! Chevro is surely one of the lesser celebrated hero. One that never got nominated.....till now! Cheers 2 Cheerio Chevro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amit!! Thanks for commenting and being a loyal long-time follower. I always appreciate your opinion.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! It brought back so many memories! And there's just something about the taste of a chevro...when you crave it, there's nothing else as satisfying. I even took some with me when we went to Italy! (Gasp!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i'm sooo glad! Chevro would go great with a Chianti. lol. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved reading this so much, I'll abstain from my usual GMO rant. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about GMOs...I am not happy about that. :( My husband frowned when he saw how Chex Mix was laced throughout this post!

      Delete
  5. Can't tell you how much I love this post! My Mom-in-law makes the most amazing "cereal no chevro" and this looks almost like hers. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting Monali! I hope you have great results!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 27, 2012

    this sounds wonderful, but I'm wondering if the nuts you use are raw?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon - yes, they are raw. Sorry for the delay in responding!

      Delete
  8. ho Amee :D
    We love your food photos, it's all delicious looking, just like this cereal chevro :D
    We'd like to invite you to submit your food photos on a Food Photography site so our readers can enjoy your creations.
    It is absolutely free and fun to make others hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You totally motivated me to make this today...I have a feeling that I'm going to have quite a few Cereal chevdo and Chai meals in the near future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a perfect combination, right?? thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  10. rashmi from yumkid.comAugust 01, 2012

    omg soooo funny! Here have some chevro! I have to use that one on my kids. Your MIL's recipe looks yummy and now that's all I want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rashmi! Yes, this is totally your get out of jail free card! :)

      Delete

Thanks for posting a comment! Check back soon for my reply!