Here's my very own mac n' cheese recipe with a secret ingredient. It's a great way to sneak in a vegetable and kids (or choosy adults!) won't even notice!
I'm really excited about sharing this with you because:
1) It's my very own recipe
2) It turned out just the way I wanted it to on the 1st try (creamy and delicious)!
A few minor details got left out in my video editing but I think you'll get the idea. I'll publish the written recipe in my next post! Enjoy!
Recipe for Sneaky Mac N Cheese
(Macaroni and Cheese with...psssst *Cauliflower*)
1-1/2 cups Macaroni (or two of the Auntie Anne's Organic boxed variety)
2 generous cups of cauliflower florets (frozen or fresh)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
8 oz Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons Flour
2 Tablespoons Butter + 1 Tablespoon butter
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1) Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in one pot and bring another 6 cups of water in another pot at the same time. Add macaroni pasta in one pot and add cauliflower florets in the other. Cook both for 8 minutes. Drain. Allow cauliflower to cool a little.
2) Put cauliflower florets in a blender or food processor and add 1/2 cup milk. Puree the mixture. Add more milk if necessary until the mixture is pourable. Empty the puree into a bowl.
3) Make a roux. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a pot over medium heat. Whisk in 2 Tbsp flour until it makes a smooth paste.
4) Make the cheese sauce. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Add mexican cheese blend, cottage cheese, and cauliflower puree. Stir until the mixture becomes a creamy consistency. Add more milk if needed. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
5) Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 300 degrees.
6) Make the breadcrumbs. In a skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat and add the breadcrumbs. Stir until the breadcrumbs become toasty and light brown.
7) Assemble and bake. Empty cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce. Pour macaroni and cheese into an oven-safe dish. Top the macaroni evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes, being careful not to burn or over-toast the bread crumbs. (Cover with foil if they brown too fast)
8) Remove from toaster oven. Inhale.