2.03.2011

Book Review: Simple Italian Sandwiches



I received this book called Simple Italian Sandwiches from my sis (S.I.S. - coincidence?) and who knew that so much could be written about paninis. I think I'm inspired to write a cookbook called "Toast".
If you aren't going to Italy any time soon, (but it's still on your list - it better be!), allow the recipes in this book to steer you to Italian cuisine without leaving your kitchen. This is real deal Italian...this is what one's Mama might grab at the corner cafe on her lunch break. Mangia!

The authors, Jennifer & Jason Denton, share recipes for Condimenti, Panini, Bruschetta, Tramezzini (a sibling of the Tea Sandwich), Antipasti and Insalate. The authors explain in detail the key players in a panini: The Bread, The Cheese, The Meat (not for me), and top-quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So simple but so good.

There were several items which I found unique. Lots of dishes included fragrant greens such as Fennel, Basil, and Arugula. Arugula has since become a regular in our house, even though its tragic name sounds like a villain(ess) from a Pixar movie. I was especially intrigued by the Balsamic Roasted Garlic.

I wish I took a photo of the Roasted Garlic, but unfortunately I ate it all. Seriously. Each clove transforms into a savory, garlicky, sweet gummy delight...I can't explain it. I sliced up a baguette, baked each slice at 350 degrees for 5 mins and then spread each slice with goat cheese and topped each slice with this little sweet garlic kernel that's packed with a firework of flavor.

I would post the recipe, but I might get sued. I'm not sure. Don't want to risk getting sued, getting thrown in jail, and never being able to taste Balsamic Roasted Garlic again.

1 comment:

  1. LOL at the last bit. Just FYI, only text not ingredients can be copyrighted, I believe. So you are usually fine if you write the directions in your own words and say that you adapted the recipe from the book. I feel so sketchy now haha. I haven't thought about this before or anything O:). Oh and of course Balsamic Roasted Garlic sounds aaaaamazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment! Check back soon for my reply!